- Water Utility Resources for the COVID-19 Pandemic, support from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Information on COVID-19: Government Relations, Policy Activities and More, resources from the American Public Power Association
- Power Sector Resources for Coronavirus Pandemic Response, industry resources from POWER Magazine
Visit our COVID-19 Resource Center to learn more about how Aldrich can help you and your business navigate this unprecedented time.
Utility industry expertise
- Corporate and cooperative tax filings
- Assistance with regulatory filings and compliance
- Rate studies and rate design studies
- Cost of services studies and cost allocation studies
- Financial statement audits
- Capital credit strategies
Improving performance and operational effectiveness
Our consultants understand utilities and the challenges they face. At Aldrich, we help our clients succeed by using our broad industry knowledge and best practices to achieve their goals. Some of the consulting projects we have completed in the utilities industry include:
Utility rate studies
Utility rate studies focus on determining the level of revenue a utility is entitled to receive. Our studies will determine whether, at existing rates, a utility is operating at a revenue surplus or at a deficiency. From these results we can determine the percentage rate increase or decrease needed to existing rates so that the utility can achieve the required revenue level necessary to meet its service requirements to its ratepayers.
Cost-of-Service Studies focus on determining the contribution margin associated with a utility’s services by service category. These studies provide information to policymakers to determine if rates should be adjusted to reflect their direct costs.
Rate design studies
Rate design studies are developed when the utility proposes to change its existing rate structure. Aldrich assists clients in designing rate structures to meet its goals and objectives whether they involve changes to the rate structure to match cost causer with cost payer goals; conservation of the utility’s resources by modifying rates from a flat rate to metered rate application, or other public policy goals and objectives that can be achieved through changing the utility’s rate structure.
Cost allocation studies
Cost allocation studies focus on determining how costs are shared between affiliated entities, both regulated and non-regulated, or in the case of a municipally owned utility, these studies determine how indirect centralized services cost are shared between general government departments and the utilities. The goal in using these studies is to ensure that cross-subsidization is not occurring between a utilities mix of regulated and non-regulated utilities and operations or between service areas. In the case of municipally owned utilities, the goal of this study is to ensure that the utility is not incurring more than its fair share of the municipalities indirect centralized services cost.
Regulatory compliance at the state and national level
- Annual filing for state public utility commissions
- Quarter and annual for online data submission for RUS
- Filings for the FCC including 499A and 499Q
- Development of cost allocation manuals
- Revenue requirement studies
- Depreciation studies
- Tariff filings
Utilities News and Insights
Meet Our Professionals
Chris Provencher, CPA
Aldrich CPAs + Advisors LLP
Chris Provencher joined the firm in 2013 and provides audit and assurance services for clients in the telecommunications and utilities industries, in addition to performing employee benefit plan audits. Chris is responsible for leading all phases of the audit including planning and risk assessment, substantive testing and reporting. He has a degree in business administration…
- Audit and assurance
- Employee benefits
- Certified Public Accountant
Looking for Support?
Are you a benefits recipient or looking for help with your client account? Send us an email at email@example.com
Have a question?
Contact us to speak with one of our advisors.