Similar to file storage, there are many methods to share a file or piece of information. Various mediums and security layers determine what fits your organization’s needs best, from simply attaching a file via email to a secure encrypted file sharing solution. Your unique business needs should dictate how you approach file sharing, and an efficient and secure platform can improve productivity and reduce risk.
To determine the best file sharing option, begin by asking the following ten questions about your business:
- What information do I need to share? Large image or video files, documents, or real-time data from a database?
- With whom am I sharing the information? Are they internal, external, customers, vendors, government agencies, etc.?
- Does the information fall under a regulatory requirement? Must it be protected to a higher standard?
- What is the timeframe for sharing? Is it a tool for one-time large file shares, or do the files need to be available longer-term? What is the retention or storage policy?
- Do I need an audit trail to know who accessed shared documents and when?
- Do I need to be notified when someone accesses shared documents?
- Do I want others to be able to share the information/documents I originally shared with them? Or do I need a tool capable of restricting file sharing?
- Do I want others to be able to modify the documents I’ve shared with them?
- What is my budget for file sharing?
- Does my company security policy have guidance on file sharing, and what solutions will comply?
With the answers to these questions, you’ve created the initial list of requirements for a sharing solution. Leaders should work closely with their systems administrator or technology advisor to better understand configurations and available tools.
Moving Forward with Aldrich Technology
With so many business-critical considerations, evaluating file-sharing solutions for your business can be a cumbersome project. The Aldrich Technology team has the experience and expertise to help you select the system that works for your business. If you have questions about file sharing, contact your Aldrich Technology Advisor.
Meet the Author
Aldrich Technology LLC
Throughout her career, Peggy Kitzmiller has been a builder and coach of teams exceeding organizational objectives. In her role with Aldrich Technology, she leads the business and works closely with clients on their IT strategy, governance, and regulatory compliance. She is a skilled collaborator, enabling cross-functional success throughout organizations. She has built divisions of publicly... Read more Peggy Kitzmiller
- Business Operations
- Strategic Planning
- Operational Excellence
- Information Management
- Client Experience
Vice President, Business Strategy
Aldrich Technology LLC
Peter Adams leads business strategy for Aldrich Technology. Prior to Aldrich, Peter founded and ran Lighthouse Information Systems, a West Coast technology consultancy focused on leading clients through technological and operational challenges in order to promote growth and facilitate successful systems. While running Lighthouse for more than 35 years, Peter served clients across countless industries,... Read more Peter Adams
- ERP selection and implementation
- Operations and process analysis
- Technology as a strategic asset
- Business assessments